Thursday, August 14, 2008

Flying the Coop


Yesterday I went to London all by myself. I have been cooped up in my cage since my surgery so I was ready to stretch my wings. Gilles was a little unsure as to whether I should go or not but he knew I was sporting my stubborn streak and I had to at least try it. I did say I would turn around if I thought it too far. But I did fine. I made it to London and had a good visit with my sister - Sue, and my Dad. I hadn't been to my mother's gravesite for a long time, either, so I was well ready to say 'hello' to Mom.

I sure do miss my mother. We'd been through a lot together over the years and there is just something about a mother's hug that helps a daughter (no matter how old) make it through a stinky day. I've had a lot of stinky days lately and I sure could have done with a few maternal hugs.

On my way back from London, I rendezvoued with Gilles in Stratford and we had supper at Swiss Chalet. I think he planned it that way just so I wouldn't be driving for so long! After supper we popped over to Rosie and Mike's. We haven't seen them for a long time so they were pretty shocked when I came to the door with a bald head. At first I don't think they even recognized me. They probably thought they were being invaded by aliens. Gilles, with his shaved head and me with my hairless noggin'. At least they didn't produce any stun guns! It was so nice to see Rosie and Mike again. we had a lot to catch up on. One thing about Rosie and Mike, is that they never change. We have been friends for years but sometimes we lose touch. It's great, though - we can always pick up as if we haven't been apart. Of course there is a ton of news to catch up with. For instance, I discovered that Rosie's three brothers each had prostate cancer. One of the brothers is still undergoing chemotherapy and it doesn't sound like he is doing so well.

The big 'C' is always lurking around somewhere waiting to consume and devour. We need to relish the moments, hold our children and grandchildren closer and longer, kiss our husbands (or wives) more often, keep in touch with our extended families even though it's hard sometimes, and cherish our friendships, for we never know what lies around the corner.

The more I talk to people, the more I realize that there is barely a soul out there who isn't touched one way or another with cancer. I often wonder why that is. Why does God allow such a disease to infiltrate, to change lives and to sometimes take lives?

I wondered what I might say if someone asked me what I have learned through all of this. I think that just might be my list for tonight:

What have I learned since I was diagnosed with cancer?
1) God doesn't just pop in for a visit. He is with me always.
2) Cancer cannot eat away at my faith as it does at my body.
3) Friends love at all times
4) Being still and listening for God's voice is more than an exercise - it is an experience.
5) Cancer might invade my body but it cannot invade my soul.
6) Women who have lost their hair because of chemotherapy all look the same.
7) Age doesn't matter when it comes to friendship
8) Forgiveness is tantamount to peace
9) Laughter really is good medicine.
10) "In sickness and in health" has real significance in the marriage vows

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Much better, starting to see your emotions. Love you always xoxox
PS "hug"